Saturday, June 14, 2014

Grub and Goose

My husband and I didn't decide on our youngest daughter's name until she was about 12 hours old.  We literally had about 7 names that we kept tossing around before we both agreed on Penelope. 

We also knew we wanted her to have the nickname, Poppy, after my grandfather who I called "Poppy".  I think of sweet Poppy Flowers, my husband thinks opium and Miami Papi's.  Male vs. Female brain thoughts I suppose. 


Then, when Penelope was about 10 days old, Harper Belle comes in the bedroom to see Penelope and says, "Her long name is Penela-goose".  WTF.  Where in the world does that come from?  Penela--goose.  Thus, the name "Goose" is literally what we call our sweet newborn the most.  Bless her heart. 
Harper Belle's baby nickname is Grub (from being tightly swaddled as a baby and looking like a grub) and now we have a Goose.  Which is a great nickname for Penelope since she has been a grumpy baby, just like a grumpy old goose.  Who honks and makes scowling faces all the time. Just the sweetest nicknames, right? Good thing children don't get a choice in these matters...



Here is HB as a baby representing her nickname.


The nicknames don't end there... 

Just last week, Harper Belle started calling her sister, "Pissy".  Ummmm, Pissy?  I think she is combining Penelope and Sissy to create Pissy.  Or also because this baby does indeed have a pissy 'ole attitude for the first months of her life and Harper Belle probably unknowingly recognizes that.  So, please picture my three year old yelling, "Come here Pissy!" down the aisles of Target.  Awesome.

We have a special household if you haven't already figured that out.  HB is quite the gypsy with very interesting thoughts and ideas.  I can only imagine how this Goose will turn out as well.  She sure is making her mark and her own personality in this house. Lord help us. 

Either way, this Grub and Goose may just be the cutest little duo I know. How can this not make you smile?  I am so excited to see their sisterhood blossom into an amazing relationship.  Full of laughter, friendly teasing, sharing of clothes and shoes, and driving their daddy crazy. Mission already started...


 HB 3 1/2 years old and P 9 weeks

No comments:

Post a Comment